Monday, June 27, 2011

Fame

And, no I'm not referring to the movie! In reading, Hemans' poem Woman and Fame, I think about celebriries. What is it about being famous, that makes people so....crazy?! I think that question can be answered in the second stanza:

Thou hast a charmed cup, O Fame!

A draught that mantles high,

Heman equates Fame with alcohol in these lines. In the media today, all we see are celebrities going crazy. Is it the intoxication of fame that drives the crazy behavior we witness celebrities commit on a daily basis? The poem goes on to say:

And seems to lift the earthly frame

Above mortality (836).

Mortality. I understand how this can mean that fame makes one immortal. In fame, one's name can be remembered forever. For example, if I ask a six years-old who Michael Jackson is, they will most likely be able to answer that. Michael Jackson has been dead two years now and 50 years from now, people will still remember his name and DJs will still be playing his music. Not only musicians are susceptible to this.

For that resplendent gift of thine,

Heroes have smiled in death (836).

To sidetrack, just a little. This line reminds me of the role of Achilles in Troy. Achilles was a great soldier who won many battles, but he went to Troy so that his name would be remembered forever. He was told that if he did not go to war he would have married a good woman, had children, lived a good long life and ultimately be happy. But, after his wife, children, grandchildren had died his name would be forgotten. And so, he goes to war.

I want to equate this with popularity. Although growing up popularity was never a concern to me, I have always feared being forgotten. I can understand how just that simple thought can drive people to do some crazy things. Fame is like a drug, it’s intoxicating. And years later, one can look back and remember the Fame that was theirs; even if only for a short time.

1 comment:

  1. Deborah,

    When you discuss Heman's poem you make some interesting insights in this post. I am afraid you get sidetracked a little too much, though! Even the digressions can be OK if you work them back around to the subject and poem, and if it is clear there is a focus on the reading assignment. I don't really see either here, though.

    ReplyDelete