Monday, June 27, 2011

Prufrock

To whom is the speaker addressing his words? He often uses the phrase "you and I." In these words I believe Eliot wants us to step into the shoes of Alfred J. Prufrock. The words are written as though Alfred is inviting us, the readers, to join him as he takes this trip. I believe that Alfred J. Prufrock is looking for a woman. And his words are directed towards that woman. It is she that he invites to "the muttering retreats/ Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels/ And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells" (2347). Prufrock is trying to convince himself to take a chance:

I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me (2350).

Alfred J. Prufrock is looking to take a chance with a woman; however his insecurities are a hinderance.

And indeed there will be time
To wonder, “Do I dare?” and, “Do I dare?”
Time to turn back and descend the stair,
With a bald spot in the middle of my hair—
[They will say: “How his hair is growing thin!”]
My morning coat, my collar mounting firmly to the chin,
My necktie rich and modest, but asserted by a simple pin—
[They will say: “But how his arms and legs are thin”] (2348)!

Prufrock turns back rather than face the woman to which he is referring. His insecurities get the better of him and ultimately he never ventures out to claim this mystery woman.

3 comments:

  1. Deborah,

    Great picture and some good comments on the passages you quote. Good observations and questions, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The passages you selected are very good illustrations of the overall tone of the poem. I agree that Prufrock is searching for a woman and ends up being hindered by his own self-consciousness. I feel more involved with the poem after reading your blog though, because of what you said about the reader going along on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to say that you did a good job on this blog. I feel the character in this passage was getting back on the date scene. When he described his bald spot it gave a sense that he was nervous. Everybody gets butterflies when going on a first date with someone who you seem to like very much.

    ReplyDelete