Monday, June 27, 2011

Araby

I really feel for the young boy in this tale. I think we have all been in a predicament where our doing something we really wanted depended on your parents or older sibling taking you there.

It's the same story every time:
  1. You promise you friend or worse your crush that you can or will do something, "If I go, I will bring you something". You ask permission, everything is all set up, all you have to do now is wait.
  2. You spend all day thinking about that one thing; you even remind them and they say, "Yes, boy, I know" (2276).
  3. Then hours later than scheduled "At nine o'clock I heard my uncle's latchkey in the hall door [...] He had forotten" (2276).
That one thing was so important to you and you parents just
forgot. How frustrating is that?! And now, you have to go back and feel like a disappointment, while no one else seems to understand why it was such a pressing matter to begin with. This among many reasons is why teenagers often say "Parent just don't understand!"


1 comment:

  1. Deborah,

    Cute picture and commentary! Not a lot of direct analysis of Joyce's actual story, though—but still an enjoyable read and display of your engagement with the story.

    ReplyDelete