Thursday, June 2, 2011

"Romantic"


I have always had trouble really understanding what is meant by the term “Romantics”. Hearing the term, I believed the term to mean the works centered on the topic of love or something of that nature. So, I was even more confused when in previous literature classes, we discussed reading of a “Romantic” style. In the reading, Definition of Romantic, Romantic is defined in a variety of ways. Four of these definitions helped me to formulate a better definition.

  1. “Of the nature of, having the qualities of, romance in respect of form or content (1)”. However, I’m not sure what constitutes the qualities of a romantic form. So, that definition didn’t really help me gain a better understanding. What are the elements of the romantic form?
  2. “Romances and Novels are often writ in this mixt Language, between Poetry and Prose: and hence it is sometimes called the Romantick Stile (1)”. So, in form, the “Romantic” style is a mixture between text and verse.
  3. “Characterized by the subordination of form to theme, and by imagination and passion (1)”. I take it that this definition means that imagination and passion are characteristic of romantic literature. However, I am not sure if we are referring to the passion in the writing or the passion displayed in the actions of the characters in the work. And is imaginative a reference to the fictional nature of the piece.
  4. “Having no real existence; imaginary; purely ideal (1)”. This definition would serve to answer my previous question.

These definitions lead me to believe that “Romantic” literature is fictional, passionate, and of or relating to love in a mixture between poetry and prose. This is what I gained from reading Definition of Romantic; correct me if I am wrong.

2 comments:

  1. Debbie,

    Good first post on your blog. I think it is a good idea to find a definition of a key or much-used term, especially when the meaning as it is used doesn't seem to mean what you had assumed it meant! With the term Romantic, the meaning has changed over the past 150 years so that now it does mean having to do with love, but as you can see that was not the meaning before. The problem with definitions, though, is that sometimes (as here) they lead to more confusion, rather than clarity! I think it would be a good idea to look at the poets and writers classed "Romantic" and see what they have in common or what themes and topics seem to be repeated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on this. I really didn't know much about Romantic until this class. Your blog also helped clear things up for me as well, especially # 2 and # 4.

    ReplyDelete