Monday, June 27, 2011

The Horrors of Governessing

Among the traditional roles of women is being a wife, a mother, and a homemaker. Here, Charlotte Bronte is writing a letter to her sister, Emily, while working as a governess for the Sidgwick family. Duties that consist of "oceans of needlework, yards of cambric to hem, muslin nightcaps to make, and above all things, dolls to dress (1524). Charlotte dislikes her position, the children, and the woman she works for. I like this reading because it tells the story of a woman who dislikes the mediocre position to which women are assigned. Growing up as a tomboy, I have always been an advocate for women who do not find person satisfaction with gender norms. I think her description of the life of a governess gives an accurate depiction of women at the time:

I see now more clearly than I have ever done
before before that a private governess has no existence, is not considered as a living and rational being except as connected with the wearisome duties she has to fulfill (1525).

In Victorian society, a woman is just another worker in the home. She is a maid, mother, and mistress.


3 comments:

  1. Deborah,

    OK synopsis of Brontë's letter to her sister, but there is not much critical analysis or in depth discussion of the subject or of the passages you quote. I love the illustration, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your view on this passage. I feel there is nothing better than seeing people trying to reach a better place in life. The role of women today have came a long way from the they played in the Victorian period. My sister use to be a tomboy and i use to love playing basketball and other sport with her. My mother and sisters taught me that women are just as equal as men and that i should always treat them as such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its sad that this woman who felt that she was going to be more than a glorified maid had to stoop to such mediocre jobs. She expected to be a teacher, however she was there for name-sake only. It looked good to company that your kids have their own personal teacher, but really your kids have their own personal maid.

    ReplyDelete